Tuesday, January 6, 2015

HCGS Meeting Jan 10, 2015 - Elections & Research in Iowa

The January 2015 meeting will  meet, as usual, at the Manoa Gardens meeting room at 9am Saturday.  Remember to park in the District Park lot or on the public streets.
   There will be elections.
    The speaker will be Mark Pierce, he's been planning this for quite a while and should be very good.  The topic is

 "Researching a Pearce/Pierce Family in Cedar County, Iowa"
   

   Mark plans to introduce his paternal line that settled in Eastern Iowa.  He'll talk about the family line; their western migration from colonial New England; talk a bit about the county itself, and the resources that were available to him while researching. ---
   Mark explains:
 "Although I knew my dad was from Iowa and my mother from Kansas, the Midwest was always a place I looked down upon when flying from one coast to the other.  I have only visited Iowa twice, once from the back seat of a green Ford station wagon when I was six and on vacation with the family, and then about forty years later after I began researching this family.  Discovering this family meant learning about a place that was fairly foreign to me.   I’ll explore with you my paternal line and share with the group some experiences of researching a rather large family in a small rural county of Iowa."



No comments: